M Adaptive Suspension option... worth it?

All BMW i4 related discussions
AverageJoe

Post by AverageJoe »

Hello all,

I am new to the forum and search didn't show any discussion around this point (there are other forums discussed this but mostly based in the states).

Will be using mostly to commute to work and I value comfort the most given the state of the roads in the UK :D

I test drove i4 eDrive40 and really liked the comfort even though it was with 19" & M Sport Pro pack/ adaptive suspension.

Going to order one but given that the adaptive suspension only comes with 19" wheels minimum and has to be part of the M Sport Pro pack there is also extra cost to consider. (and tbh I actually i kind of like Sport trim look more as it closer to the concept design )

i wonder if anyone managed to test drive an i4 configured in 18" wheels to compare ride comfort with standard suspension vs adaptive in 19" (couldn't find any near me)? or if the community has any thoughts around this option in general?

OLDPILOT

Post by OLDPILOT »

I've got the i4 m sport with standard 18" wheels and standard suspension. Having driven the car with adaptive suspension, I wouldn't waste the money buying this extra. The standard suspension is very good and the slightly smaller wheels give better range.
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

If you're going for 18" wheels anyway you might be fine. I currently have an X3 with 20" run flats on, previous to this was various 3/4/5 series with 19" run flat tyres and in M-Sport trim which also includes stiffer suspension.
To be honest I feel everything and if I was to go for the m-sport + larger wheels again in the future I would look at adaptive as a serious option.
AverageJoe

Post by AverageJoe »

Thank you both. For some reason I didn’t get notified about the replies earlier and just randomly saw them today!

It was a tough choice as I really wanted to get the entry trim but I went with the 19” & adaptive suspension at the end (M Sport Pro pack) as they come with M Sport brakes (given the weight of the car thought it’s handy to have them)

now it’s a waiting game for me.
Avocet

Post by Avocet »

Mine's the same. 19" wheels and adaptive suspension. The "sport" mode does significantly stiffen the suspension. It's very noticeable. I've only had the car less than a fortnight and this weather isn't right for exploring the limits of its handling, but I think it will make a big difference. However, the wider tyres do appear to reduce the range somewhat.