I4 Poor range

New to the BMW i4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

Sorry, you are quite right ‘ Pritchard ‘ with you correction of my mileage per kilowatt. I should have put ‘ miles per kilowatt’ which is the first reading you get on straight ahead screen with a single push on left hand stalk button ie ‘ since last charge’ and it should read 4 miles per kWh which WOULD result in a range of, as you said, 4 X 80 ( total useable battery) of 320 miles. My main point was the fact that my previous full EV ( Jaguar I pace) nearly always returned higher figures on general driving ( no motorways but with a few fast country roads plus shopping) than the factory quoted. Those figures ( for the I pace) decreased to around 220 miles (199 travelled and an indicated 21 ‘in the tank’) when on a long, mainly motorway, drive. Incidentally the second push on the stalk of the I 4 gives ‘ consumption since factory’ and this was 3.7 miles per kWh but, due to winter driving, has now dropped to 3.5 miles per kWh.
I realise that one mile travelled from home, travelling uphill with heater on full heat plus seats and steering wheel also on will result in a predicted mileage of less than one hundred miles from full charge to fully depleted charge but this prediction will show higher as the journey takes place. Also I understand that an EV travelling at 5 mph will travel much further on a full charge than driving at 70 mph which is the opposite to an ice engined car. Again I am absolutely delighted with my car (even the sunset orange with oyster trim) that colleagues advised against but now say “what a cracking colour choice👍🏻“ the only niggle being the weird positioning of the lighting switches down by my right knee nearly under the ‘dash’
Thank you for the replies with most folks seemingly getting only similar range to myself even though our incentive to drive electric ( the cost of fuel) has recently tripled in cost while diesel and petrol has remained static overall. We’ve even got Mr government promising slapping road fund licence fees on top!

dizzybobla

Post by dizzybobla »

Hi
Post an over air update the range has gone from being circa 280 at 100% to less than 200. Sometimes the SOC increases or decreases on exiting and re-entering the vehicle. I can end up at a destination having gained range or on another day in the same conditions spending twice the range as the indicated mileage. I'm convinced there is a glitch at work
Avocet

Post by Avocet »

Newbie here, having just got one as a company car. Only had it a fortnight so far.

First long trip was 3.2 miles per kWh, but during the cold snap this week, I've been nearer to 2.1 miles per kWh.

That said, I've just been out locally today in it (two degrees below zero here), and used the "B" setting on the gear lever. I was pleasantly surprised by 2.8 miles per kWh.

In absolute terms, I know they're bad figures, but I can live with them until the weather warms up.
Keith26

Post by Keith26 »

Travelled 180 miles this week from North Wales to Northampton, broadly 50% motorway and 50% A roads,

07650A11-8416-493E-8071-0943477575AD.jpeg

and averaged 2.9 miles per kWh. I’m happy with that as still had plenty and of range to spare. This was my first trip…
Sadly the car is now back with the dealer, as has a drivetrain issue…At least BMW have provided a decent hire car!! Shame it’s not electric though…

8ADF89C9-E22C-4B83-82D3-8FA77344C98C.jpeg

dizzybobla

Post by dizzybobla »

Since an over air update my range varies wildly and sometimes arrive with more than when I left…also am getting 30% less range from 100% despite driving consistently. Could the temperature really have that much impact?
Zippmania

Post by Zippmania »

I charged my i4 today at 2.5 degrees C and to100% , mileage shown 220 which is not good, anyone else getting similar range prediction ?
Brianl

Post by Brianl »

Charged my new i40 at the weekend to 100% and the GOM showing 220miles. I'm really disappointed as I moved from the eNiro to the i4 to get more range. The eNiro with the 64K battery was returning 260miles at 100% in this weather :evil: :evil:
daveyip

Post by daveyip »

I generally don't take any notice of the predicted mileage now. In the last cold snap that we had, i set off at -5 and by the time I'd driven down the m6 and to Coventry I still had 175m ! I started off at around 220 as well!
npritchard

Post by npritchard »

The GOM is just taking average consumption over the last 25 miles and assuming your consumption for the 100% of charge you have in the battery will be the same. If the last 25 miles was all short trips when the battery hadn't warmed up, then the figure will be way off what you would get if you just got in and drove 100 miles for example. I did 64 miles yesterday and used 20% of the battery giving a range of 320 miles, which at about 10c is fine from my point of view.
eDrive40 M Sport Registered 21/12/22.
npritchard

Post by npritchard »

Just to add to my comment above, I've now done quite a few 100+ mile + trips on the motorway at a steady 70mph and reliably get 300+ miles range calculated by % of battery used and actual mileage completed. Most of these were at 8-9c and, with all the rain we had in March, often in rain so I'm very happy. Looking forward to 350 miles in the summer.
eDrive40 M Sport Registered 21/12/22.