I4 Poor range

New to the BMW i4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

Hi all,
I’ve been driving my i4 M40 for two months but only done 1200 miles so far. Although I absolutely love the car I’m dissapointed in the mileage per kWh, having to try really hard to beat 4.0 kWh per 100 miles which should relate to around 310 miles per ‘tank full’ but is in actual fact around 275 miles ( worked out by adding the actual miles travelled on the ‘trip’ to the range in miles left in the batteries when very low,8%)
My previous vehicle was a Jaguar I pace with which I could actually travel 270 miles ( average driving not motorway miles) which is actually more than Jaguar quotes for the car, and,as such, I would expect to get somewhere between the bragging rights from bmw of 364 miles and the supposed real world mileage of 280. I will admit that my i4 is much better on motorway/ dual carriageway mileage than the I pace was ( only covering 220miles on a long journey.
So, after this long spiel, has anyone had any problems with an i4 range which has been improved by ‘ plugging in and updating’ ? as I don’t like being fobbed off with stupid questions such as ‘have you left your seats turned on?’
Sadly, as I was a Diesel engine lover in the past, I realise that EV’s DONT ‘run themselves in’ and improve with time so any suggestions from a position of knowledge would be appreciated.

OLDPILOT

Post by OLDPILOT »

I've got the i4 m sport with standard suspension and 18" wheels and get 310 miles on a full charge. I do thing the smaller wheels make quite a difference and also, after the initial trial in sport or comfort modes, tend to keep using eco plus mode
Inobby25

Post by Inobby25 »

Hi
I too have a similar issue over range. I’ve had my I40 for about a month and it’s an ex demo car with 6k on the clock. When I test drove it it showed a range of 298 but however I charge it I cannot seem to get above the 220 mark. Any ideas ? It does have 19’ wheels with adaptive suspension if that makes a difference
npritchard

Post by npritchard »

Hi,

Sorry, late reading this post but surely you have a mistake in the consumption figure. What is “4kWh per 100 miles”? I think you have the units mixed up or something because at that rate, with an 80 kWh battery, you’d have a 2000 mile range!
eDrive40 M Sport Registered 21/12/22.
i4maan

Post by i4maan »

I’d agree with the poor range
We have a Tesla model 3 too and I have far less range anxiety with the Tesla.
But the i4 feels soooo much better.

As I understand it the range prediction is dependant upon how you have driven in the previous 60 km
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Hi,

New to this forum, had my new i4 edrive40 delivered yesterday, did around 65 miles yesterday with a mix of dual carriageway and A/B roads, charged the car overnight and it’s only coming up with a range of 217 miles with 100% charge, did anyone else experience this on delivery with the first couple of charges? I ordered this car on the basis that the range was 300+ miles, would be interested to gather views. Thanks
cdugg

Post by cdugg »

Have exactly the same experience.

I’ve driven 350 miles so far. Just finished a 110 mile trip. Left with 82%, arrived at 44% with a remaining range of 115 miles. Implied full range of 255 which is pretty disappointing.

Driving was mainly motorway cruising at 75mph and A roads 40-50mph
npritchard

Post by npritchard »

Apologies in advance to anyone wiser than me, but I've had an EV for 4 years and suspect that at least some of the comments on this thread come from ineperience with an EV. Any calcuation based on the predicted range given by the car should be take with a pinch of salt. It is at best an educated guess by the car, and in many forums is referred to as the GOM (Guessometer) for that reason. The most accurate way I have found to calculate expected full range is to look at actual miles travelled (nobody can argue with that) and % of battery used. The latter figure does assume the remaining battery % figure given by the car is accurate but unless you are going to run from 100% to 0% it's the best you have. In the last example above, 82% down to 44% has used 38% of battery. If you did 110 miles on 38% of battery, that would be 289 miles on 100%. With the cold weather, and the fact that you were doing 75 mph for at least part of the journey I would be quite pleased with that. Assuming your are in the UK with our cold weather of course!
cdugg

Post by cdugg »

That’s a really useful and very logical response ! Thank you !
npritchard

Post by npritchard »

No worries. The good news for you, and anybody else getting an EV for the first time now, is that you’ll notice that your range will only improve when the weather starts to warm up next year.