Two things

All BMW i4 related discussions
dentaldave

Post by dentaldave »

Good morning all
I am a newbie to this forum.
We collect a 1 year old i4 M40 Easter time. I have had a 2019 I pace since new and covered 45k with a few issues the most recent was a duff battery pack cell in one of the strings of four which was replaced under warranty. I did have a faulty module which prevented DC charging which was replaced. The range on these spring like days on the guessometer is 245 miles. The car had an extended warranty and I bought a service pack when new which has expired and so the decision to replace with an i4 has been taken. The principal reason is the enhanced range and us wanting a car with a full warranty. I must say that adaptive cruise control to me is an essential and our salesperson commiserates with the fact that it has to be purchased.
Last week there was a post on the i pace forum which i4 users may not or may already be aware of.
EV’s will have to pay VED from April 1st 2025 which is likely to be £185.
The hack is to retax your vehicle now before 01/04/2024 so that it becomes due again in March 2025. That way you will not pay the VED of £185 until March 2026 . You will need to have your V5 document in hand so this doesn’t apply if you are leasing the car.
On the Gov.ukvehicle/tax press the green button , you don’t have a tax reminder letter so use the V5 document . Put in your vehicle reg number.It will warn you that you are relaxing your vehicle. Make sure to enter your email address as proof.
Job done and you have saved £185!!
Best wishes
dentaldave

Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

Hi there dentaldave,
Just come on forum to post advice about future road fund licence saving and find you’ve already done it! For any member reading this or dentaldaves post it works exactly as he stated. You have to use your v5 document with its nine digit code as normally you would have the tax reminder with its own code to use but obviously as the tax is not officially due, then none will have been sent.
I’ve just done mine and recieved an e mail confirming March 1st as my road fund tax start date so next year I will tax my car,for zero cost, on that date whilst taxing a month later will incur nearly two hundred quid to tax.
Also Dave I’m amazed by the similarities I have with yourself as regards your previous car. My car was also a Jaguar I pace ( bought two years old from a main agent with three years factory warranty) and was awful where reliability was concerned. I very rarely had to wash the car as it was in the main agents that often and they always valeted it!
The charging cable receiving socket went faulty. Then the charging control module needed replacing followed by the intermittent wiper control faulting ( which resulted in the main agents cracking the windscreen while changing the rain sensor and then a five week wait for a ‘non available’ screen which suddenly became available when I threatened to park it on the road outside their premises with a big notice on the screen)
Next one of the rear door gas struts fell apart due to corrosion ( and they were only going to change the one even though the other was obviously rusting badly) but the final straw was the cabin heater packing in which meant the entire battery pack had to be lowered from the car to access the unit with most of the battery pack retaining rail bolts needing drilling out and then replacing.
I did not have to pay a penny for any of these repairs even though they amounted in total to many thousands of pounds so I will admit that my experience of JLR warranty has been excellent AND I really loved the I pace. But now I have the i40 it’s even better with nearly 50% more range on the motorways and so pleasant to drive. I, like you, also hate the fact that I have to pay a wedge of cash if I want ‘adaptive’ cruise control or automatic dipping headlights and the fact that the H.U.D. system was no longer available when I ordered my car in 2021 ( recieved it in August 2022)
Anyway I hope you enjoy your i40👍
dentaldave

Post by dentaldave »

Good morning.
An early start. We picked up the BMW yesterday and love it already!
I was sorry to see the ipace go but BMW offered a good trade in on it so I was more than happy with that.
The big thing for us is range and not range anxiety!
Have had all the extras that came as standard on the jaguar the one thing I had to have was the adaptive cruise feature. I was not totally impressed with the auto headlight feature .The fact that when the system picked up the outside lights of houses and dipped was annoying and that approaching vehicles would sometimes get dazzled was a pain. The actual brightness of the Jaguar headlights to illuminate the road was marvellous however.
I have also paid for the speed camera feature as it is so easy to be a few mph over the prescribed speed limit.
So today is day two and we are off to Norfolk for a run and some lunch!
dentaldave

Post by dentaldave »

Remember that to avoid the car being taxed from first April 2025 you need to retax your car today