New here and first BMW since 2001

New to the BMW i4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
lapua65

Post by lapua65 »

Hi all.
Just had my i4 delivered last week and it is the first BMW i have had in 23 years. My third foray into EVs, First was an 350e Merc C class hybird and a bit of a joke being that it would cover 13 miles on a charge. Second was a Polestar 2 with the twin motors. To be honest the Polestar was nice to drive but fraught with technical problems. Constant roadside recoveries that always seemed to be due to the lates software update. Also the connectivity was dire, I would be 10 miles from home before the sat nav or apps would work. Many a journey stuck with DAB. When I viewed the Polestar I did the obligatory Tesla test and was thoroughly underwelmed with the build and general feel of the car. The Polestar was one of the very first in the UK and the rarity made it fun to drive but the range was shockingly poor. In Summer I would manage, at best 190 miles in Winter and around 205 in Summer. These really were the best I could get out of it. When it dies last time I was given a brand new 2024 model that I was told and read had far more range. Again we managed 210 miles from a charge. I am sure if I switched everything off and drove at 35mph I could have managed more, but that to me is daft. My first trip in my i4 was 246 miles in winter rain and got home with 20% charge. Amazing to me. It means I can do the round trip to my dads house without a charge stop and save well over an hour in detours for chargers.
All in all, and in every respect the BMW is a better car than the Polestar with the single exception of the headlights. Laserlights were dropped in my spec to allow my son to spec the carbon pack. The standard lights on the i4 are pretty poor compared to the Polestar and the Audi A6 we have. Very much a minor issue but quite an obvious one. The BMW i4 for me is a cracking car.