DRIVETRAIN FAULT

Faults and Technical chat for the BMW i4
OLDPILOT

Post by OLDPILOT »

Collected my i4 40 m sport on 9th Oct after a 44 week wait for delivery. After 4 weeks and 400 miles a fault warning message is displayed saying there is a driveline fault, I can drive the car but need to visit the dealer to get it checked.
When connected to the OBD port at the dealer, no fault is registered even though it shows on the instrument panel and on the BMW app. BMW Germany are said to have reset the car to clear the error but after a short time it shows again. So now after 44 weeks waiting the car it stuck at the dealers while they and Germany try to sort the problem. A great start.
Anyone had similar problems

AverageJoe

Post by AverageJoe »

Someone posted similar issue in another forum though but in their case they couldn’t even start the car. Guess the error message must be generic one rather specific issue:
https://www.i4talk.com/threads/my-i4-ed ... king.5374/
Keith26

Post by Keith26 »

Hi I’ve had a similar fault, after only 180 miles. Apparently the battery system control unit, “SME unit “, need’s replacing.
Car been with the dealership 2 weeks now and are waiting for the part from Germany, possibly another 2 weeks…very disappointing…

B18B0923-3CAC-4849-858C-DACDC3A35BFB.jpeg

andyflava

Post by andyflava »

Same problem here.

I had the car for 5 days and this happened. Getting no feedback from BMW at all.

I’ve also raised a complaint.

It’s a BMW i4 M50 built week 45 2022.

I am frankly shocked that after 5 days of ownership the car is impossible to drive. It was recovered back to a main dealership and it’s been there ever since.

The silence from BMW is deafening. No idea what the problem is, what the fix is and when I will get it back.

E7766A3D-65E6-413D-A18C-4C59C3EDE53D.jpeg

OLDPILOT

Post by OLDPILOT »

I rejected my car and got my money back. After 10 weeks I know it was still waiting to be fixed.
nickom44

Post by nickom44 »

I have similar problems with an I4 E40 ,

First, The car had to go in to Sytner for a software upgrade, which was apparently linked to problems with battery fires, although the car I have allegedly didn't suffer from having this feature.

The latest problems with the are:

1. Steering system check-up, the steering support of vehicle is changed , please drive moderately
2. Drivetrain check-up, the drivetrain of your vehicle needs to be checked; it is possible to continue driving
3. Battery check-up, the high voltage system of your vehicle is malfunctioning; you can continue driving; please have it checked by your nearest service centre
4. Power Supply, Stop carefully, Do not continue driving, Failure of safety-relevant functions if you continue driving. Battery can no longer be charged, please call roadside assistance

This all happened within one minute.

Car is now dead, even though it has 93% battery charge; Car alarm is going off, although not at full volume, can't unlock the car. Its Just a very expensive piece of metal and plastic on my drive.

I heard this has been caused by the previous software upgrade, so could be a wider problem?

I don't know what's going on in BMW, my previous experience with cars and customer service has been excellent, It's all changed now. Quality and reliability doesn't seem to be a top priority.