BMW i4 40 v Tesla M3LR

All BMW i4 related discussions
Forty_Two

Post by Forty_Two »

I have had my Tesla M3 LR for 2 years and there are lots of things I like about Tesla and lots of things I don't like (hence I am considering a change to the i4 40). I have a few questions (whch I could ask the local dealer but after a phone callthis morning got 'swamped' with sales talk). Note: I know what the reality of what is the actual range mile in electric cars.
1. How long is the warranty?
2. What does the warranty cover e.g. running out of fuel / punctures?
3. I presume it is 'key-less' does it have PIN access / what security does it have?
4. Does it have 'supercharger' abilty / access?
5. What charger / speed of charge do you have access to on the motoway?
6. Are controls (wipers. heater. headlights etc., on knobs and buttons or touch screen)?

Forty_Two

Post by Forty_Two »

I can see that 102 people have viewed my post but zero have replied ! I thought they were simple questions? And, I'd like to add another . . . . .

7. What cameras does it come with as standard ?
eeny

Post by eeny »

Hi There

I'm assuming you are UK ?
I've just picked up my I4 e40. I have 100,000 miles warranty and/or 8 years on the Batteries.
Standard warranty doesn't cover puncture or negligence.
It has a key fob, but you can also create a digital key . Alarms, GPS Location.
Can charge up to 200 kw DC. can even use some Tesla Chargers
You can get a years free Bp Pulse Charging credit up to £750
Wipers , headlights conventional, Climate Control is on screen.

Loads of Videos on You Tube , get a test drive booked, It's a Proper Car, Tesla is fast but soulless IMHO
Forty_Two

Post by Forty_Two »

eeny wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:57 pm rYou can get a years free Bp Pulse Charging credit up to £750
Thanks for the helpful reply - yes I am in the UK.

When yo say 'you can get' - how does that work . . . I just ask for it?
Forty_Two

Post by Forty_Two »

In previous years I have bought new cars on-line (autoebid) with a nice discount. I called then and the answer machine said something along the lines 'no longer in business and dsicounts not available' . . . . in my previous car buying life it was always quite easy to get a decent discount off a BMW, have things changed?
Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

Hi there,
I think this forum is little used because i4 owners must mostly be like me, over 75 and forgotten how to spell!
I’ve had my I40 M sport for over 18 months now ( after having a low mileage used I pace which I got rid of due to many unreliability issues)
I absolutely love the bmw with an actual range of over 350 miles with 100% charge last August, Leeds to Plymouth, motorway 95% of the time, air con on number one and miles per KWh just over 4.
Lat week over the new year I travelled 180 miles ( again mostly m way miles) with 40 miles shown left ‘in the tank’ (from 85% charge which is my normal max charge level unless on a very long run) with heater on about three quarters of max and fan on number one. The miles shown per kWh were 3.2 which I think is excellent for around 7 degrees outside temperature. Seat heaters were used at the start of the journey but the normal heater is very good anyway.
Reference your question about switches, the wipers and lights are on ‘ normal’ stalks, radio/sat nav volume on a single rotary knob, the gear/ directional lever exactly where it should be, a lever and not a rotary gubbins plus a very effective voice activated system, if required, for most everything else. My one complaint is that I like to thank other drivers at night, not by blinding them by flashing them with my main beam, but by turning my headlights off then on and this cannot be done anymore.
As I charge most of the time at home and have solar roof panels on my house as well, then I’m not sure about ‘supercharged’ battery charging
( but I certainly don’t think it can do the batteries any good) but I have on only one or two occasions used a charger ( in Devon) that was just under a hundred kWh , well I know it cost 99ppkwh so I just watched my pension ebbing away!
The warranty is 3 years with recovery/ battery recharge included but I myself have never heard of a puncture warranty and the tyres on my car are not ‘run flat’ etc.
The negatives to the i4 are the despicable trick of BMW ripping customers off by charging after purchase for benefits such as ‘Active’ cruise control, which is a safety item and should be applauded by BMW as a sales item, not as a ‘ wind up the customer item’. I was also disappointed in that my car did not have ‘ heads up display’ even though the demonstrater I had tried six months earlier had it fitted.
The turning circle is abysmal, I used to turn a 44 tonne artic round in a smaller space! but that’s all I can slag it off for as I have, as yet, only had a noisy seat belt ( passenger side when retracted) but its now disappeared.
Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

This is for the attention of ‘eeny’
Watch out when you near the end of your first year with any of the ‘free to use charging app cards’ I never read the small print so was surprised to receive a monthly fee for a service I never requested, never wanted and never used. They then managed to drag it out over two months after stating that I ‘ hadn’t given them the required notice of cancellation. Hell, I ran a business for fifty years, you would of thought I’d have known better!
I cancelled my direct debit and now they are nagging me for seven pounds fifty pence. No way will they get it! That’s a pint ‘n half of Guinness!
Forty_Two

Post by Forty_Two »

Dissapointed dave wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:01 pm Hi there,
Thanks for the helpful post