Newbie with a daft question

All BMW i4 related discussions
OGS

Post by OGS »

Hi,

Apologies in advance, I'm new to electrics but have had BMW's for years and decided to switch so have taken delivery of an ex demo i4 40 M sport, I'm very pleased with it but have a few questions on charging while I'm waiting for my home pod point to be installed.

I used an Instavolt charging station and to get it to charge had to lock the car, no problem. However is this something you have to do on all charging stations and be out of the car or can you set it charging while sat inside?

Also I have the one year free charging contract on the BMW app and also downloaded Zap Map, the rates per kWh seem higher than that on Zap but I thought they'd be lower given the fact you pay a monthly fee (albeit I'm on the free years trial deal)?

Like I said "Newbie with a daft question"

Cheers

AndrewG

Post by AndrewG »

I too am a new i4 owner and have been using public charging points. I have found you can remain in your car while it’s charging, but if you leave it clearly it should be locked and the charging cable will also be locked in place.

Regarding costs, I’m not sure about the quoted prices relative to ZapMap, but some companies charge much higher prices than others for very fast charging e.g. She’ll Recharge. However, with the free BP Pulse membership from BMW, you should get cheaper members’ rate for charging compared to non members rates.