I4 Poor range

New to the BMW i4 Forums? Introduce yourself here
cacofonix

Post by cacofonix »

Hi, I had a 24hr demo of the i4 e40 a week ago and was very impressed by how the range responded to driver behaviour, unlike say my Taycan. I saw range (extrapolated to 100% charge) pick up from 240 miles to 290 miles during my brief period with the car.

Therefore we've just put a deposit down on an ex demo i4 (7k miles), and in a little video from the dealer, it shows the car with 74% SOC and 147 miles of range left, give a full battery range of less than 200 miles. I find this difficult to reconcile to the demo car I had and have asked the dealer to have the battery checked - I presume there is a way the dealer can do this?

I think I also caught on the video that actually the car has done 3.0 miles per kwh since new, so maybe the current predicted range is just the product of being hooned around. I notice npritchard has explained that the predicted range is an extrapolation from the average consumption over just the last 25 miles - is this a fact or an educated observation?

Any colour would be appreciated, should I cancel the deposit?

cacofonix

Post by cacofonix »

The dealer has just been shown by their product expert how to get the GOM to disregard previous driving and now the car shows 75% SOC and expected range of 259 miles, ie a full charge range of 345. I’m really quite surprised, it’s obviously a completely different algorithm to what I’ve been used to.
i40_edrive23NJ

Post by i40_edrive23NJ »

I so wish I had found this thread before I bought the car but I think I am learning now how to work all this out being a petrolhead and feeling like the anti-christ in an EV I bought the I4 to save money whilst give us a decent range as a family car compared to the rather juicy G05 X5 40i I had before although still got circa 500 miles from a tank only downside was it was £130 to fill up each time.
So correct me if I am wrong here but basically ignore the range as this is unlikely to be correct at the best of times and just focus on the percentage of battery remaining? Also the 80% charge thing is it worth charging to 100% every ten charges or so just to do it? I feel weird not charging to 100%?
lapua65

Post by lapua65 »

Hi all.
First post here. Well I have just moved from a Polestar 2 and have nearly 80 miles more range than I did in my Polestar 2. So far the longest journey I have made was 246 miles and came home with 20% charge. To me the range is absolutely excellent for the vehicle type.