AC blowing cold

Faults and Technical chat for the BMW i4
honnops

Post by honnops »

Hello, I got delivery of my i4 Edrive 35 in December, but I've recently noticed that my AC blows cold, at first It seemed to be ok but once the temperature dropped below 0 it's frigid even though I have temp on high, I now prefer leaving the AC off completely. I have tried preconditioning, did it for an hour but same situation, drove around for 30min after that and sat it my car for another 15min with the fans blowing on full and temp on high but the cabin was only slightly relatively warmer than when I set out (it was still quite cold) if anything or maybe my body just adapted. is anyone experiencing this and does anyone know if there's a solution? p.s: I don't remember it being this bad when I got the car, I think it did warm up often but there was one time my partner also noticed that the cabin didn't seem to be warming up at all and this was also when the weather dipped below zero.

Mf031966

Post by Mf031966 »

Hi
Having come from a Tesla m3p for the last 4 years I’m shocked at how rubbish the heating is, which is how I found your post. Mine will blow out warmish air when on max but I could have it on for a whole hour journey and still never feel hot.
Is there a fault that we don’t know about or a setting that needs changing some where?
From what I can see there are meant to be 2 off 9kw electric heaters along with a heat pump where as the model 3 I had was pre heat pump model as would blow out hot air almost immediately..
Dissapointed dave

Post by Dissapointed dave »

Hi there honnops,
I have a,now 18 months old, i40 and I’m forever telling people how wonderful the cabin heat system is, you know, when the ice vehicle owners hit you with the old “ ha your batteries will be used up the minute you turn on the heater/wiper/ headlights etc So my answers are such as “ I’ll bet your car does not warm up till you nearly get to work”
My previous EV was an I pace and that was never that good but when the heating failed altogether I realised it had never been right!
With my i40, by the time I’ve driven it out of the garage then waited 30 seconds to make sure the electric door has fully closed, then the heater is pushing out warm air. I bet within three minuits I have to command the heater fan to turn to number one speed around the time I turn off the heated steering wheel as it’s way too hot ( it could do with a variable setting).
As the setting/ control of the heating system is pretty obvious then I suspect you have a fault somewhere?
honnops

Post by honnops »

Mf031966 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 pm Hi
Having come from a Tesla m3p for the last 4 years I’m shocked at how rubbish the heating is, which is how I found your post. Mine will blow out warmish air when on max but I could have it on for a whole hour journey and still never feel hot.
Is there a fault that we don’t know about or a setting that needs changing some where?
From what I can see there are meant to be 2 off 9kw electric heaters along with a heat pump where as the model 3 I had was pre heat pump model as would blow out hot air almost immediately..
I've scoured the internet looking for solutions, I do not want to park my car at the dealer's for ages looking for diagnosis or parts, some people mentioned coolant leakage as the cause, I've looked under my hood and fortunately, mine isn't leaking and my coolant level is still at max. The other likely fault is a heat pump failure, my car still heats up very rarely. did you find a solution to yours?
honnops

Post by honnops »

Dissapointed dave wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm Hi there honnops,
I have a,now 18 months old, i40 and I’m forever telling people how wonderful the cabin heat system is, you know, when the ice vehicle owners hit you with the old “ ha your batteries will be used up the minute you turn on the heater/wiper/ headlights etc So my answers are such as “ I’ll bet your car does not warm up till you nearly get to work”
My previous EV was an I pace and that was never that good but when the heating failed altogether I realised it had never been right!
With my i40, by the time I’ve driven it out of the garage then waited 30 seconds to make sure the electric door has fully closed, then the heater is pushing out warm air. I bet within three minuits I have to command the heater fan to turn to number one speed around the time I turn off the heated steering wheel as it’s way too hot ( it could do with a variable setting).
As the setting/ control of the heating system is pretty obvious then I suspect you have a fault somewhere?
I agree with you, If I remember well my car heated pretty quickly when I first took delivery, There's a fault somewhere, I'm just sceptical about getting it checked, people who had similar heating problems have their cars sitting out at the dealership for months waiting for parts. I probably have to endure the cold till BMW finds a fix.
Alexandruv2010

Post by Alexandruv2010 »

I have the same problem
Blowing only cold air while outside is 4 celsius
Did you fix the problem?
Alexandruv2010

Post by Alexandruv2010 »

Mf031966 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:03 pm Hi
I have the same problem
Blowing only cold air while outside is 4 celsius
Did you fix the problem?
crunch

Post by crunch »

I noticed the same thing on my 40, cold air on cold days. More noticeable at higher speeds, I could be wrong, but wondering if it has something to do with the fresh air intake?
woodap77

Post by woodap77 »

Hi.

I would definitely recommend getting this checked out by your dealership.
My heating/AC started blowing out cold air, whatever the climate settings, around the same time as yours (cold spell early Jan), but prior to that had seemed a bit less impressive at heating the cabin. I bought mine in November (ex-demo) and it was really toasty after just a few mins of preconditioning or starting a trip initially.
I booked mine into my dealership re the heating but during the 2 week wait it developed a Drivetrain warning (said was ok to drive but book into dealership), and then actually cut out on me (total loss of power with foot to floor) before my scheduled appointment.
Luckily I was on a village side road at the time, not a main road/motorway……
Recovered by BMW assist and after 4 weeks in the garage now has a new heat exchange pump (which had been leaking coolant - as you say many reports of this on the web, particularly from cold climates such as Finland/North America) and a new high voltage battery thermostat/heater which had likely burnt out due to lack of coolant being provided to it, which probably led to the shutdown/loss of power. (assumption of both me and my dealership)

I only found the reports of coolant loss/heat valve failure/leakage etc after the drivetrain warning, so had had heating issues for some time, and no heat for a couple of weeks prior to that time. My coolant was low then and BMW assist confirmed the leak, but I’m not sure how significant a leak (or other initial heat exchange valve fault) would be required to trigger any initial heating issues.

Had my car back a couple of weeks now and is as toasty as ever 😁